In the very beginning, the automotive industry was dominated by open-top vehicles whose body shapes were very much based on the horse-drawn carriage, there were open and closed carriages and then there was the Coupe.
This first volume of the Mercedes-Benz Coupe book addresses the journey from what was a functional sports car design to what has become the incomparable Mercedes-Benz 'Sports Coupe'; its timeless body design has remained, even today both a dream car and a dream Coupe to anyone who aspires to follow in the early individualists who chose style and elegance over practicality.
With over 300 photographs and illustrations, this book includes:
- An overview of the early days of 'Sports-Car' design
- The influences of aerodynamics on design evolution
- Early protagonists at Daimler-Benz and how they influenced the design of the Coupe shape
- How the Racing Coupe influenced what became the production Sport Coupe
- The experimental and one-off prototypes
- The continuation of the Super Sport Light concept through the 'S-Class' range