This history of the Lotus Evora traces the genesis, context, manufacture and evolution of the Type 122 Evora and its derivative models.The Evora’s prowess as a grand touring sports car is demonstrated with the author’s international road trips, and its essence is detailed through in-depth interviews with leading personalities at Lotus involved with the design, development, construction and marketing programmes. The book concludes with the launch of the Evora’s successor, the Type 131 Emira in 2021.
Johnny Tipler has a long association with the Lotus marque, having run the John Player Team Lotus Motorsport Press Office during the halcyon JPS era, as recounted in his 2019 book ‘Black and Gold’. He has authored many automotive books, notably on the Lotus Elise, and also wrote for the Club Lotus International publication between 2005 and 2011. He is a good friend of Classic Team Lotus boss Clive Chapman (son of the Lotus founder Colin Chapman) and regularly attends historic races such as the Goodwood Revival where CTL’s F1 Lotuses are in action.
- The Evora: a blend of avant-garde styling and ingenious engineering
- Lotus’s flagship model, the Evora weathered the often-choppy seas of corporate uncertainty
- This book provides a unique insight into the Evora’s entire production lifetime, from conception and assembly to the open road
- Researched by the author at the Lotus factory, where he observed the Elise construction process
- The author was given direct access to key figures in the Evora’s design, development and construction
- A look at the Toyota 3.5-litre V6 engine, always used for the Evora, and demonstrating the continuation of a historical synergy
- The chassis shared the bonded aluminium technology pioneered in the Elise, comprised of a central tub and modules front and rear
- Several road trips in Evoras are showcased as drive stories for this book
- Sharing its name with the Portuguese city, Evora also references Evolution and Aura
- Over 300 stunning images, many previously unseen, including professional photos and specially commissioned artworks